We organize IELTS preparation courses for students who want to enrol in an English-taught Master’s programme in the Netherlands. In this short and intensive course you can improve your academic language skills in order to achieve a higher IELTS band score.
The course is very intensive and consists of 16 hours of tutoring planned in 5 lessons. The next course takes place on:
- Saturday 10th of March 2018, 9:30-13:00
- Wednesday 14th of March 2018, 18:15-21:00
- Saturday 17th of March 2018, 9:30-13:00
- Wednesday 21st of March 2018, 18:15-21:00
- Saturday 24th of March 2018, 9:30-13:00
The costs for the course are 550 euros, including the books.
You are not able to participate now? Contact us, because this course starts on a regular basis as soon as we have enough students. We work in small groups between 3 and 10 students.
What is IELTS?
The IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test is the world’s leading test of academic English. It is designed to assess the language skills of people who study or work in an English-language environment. IELTS is recognised by universities and employers in a large number of countries, including the United Kingdom and the United States.
In IELTS there is no pass or fail. The results are reported as band scores on a scale from 1 to 9. Universities in the Netherlands might have different entry requirements, but for most of the insitutions a band score of at least 6.5 is required.
The Academic module covers all four language skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking.
In the preparation course we focus on all of those skills and we combine practice with extra grammar tutoring. We help you to get familiar with the examination methods and you will get relevant feedback on your work and advice on how to improve.
The IELTS exam consists of 4 tests and each test assesses on different skills that are mentionned below. The preparation course covers them all.
- Listening for key words
- Listening for general information
- Listening for tones
- Listening for signals (firstly, secondly, the most significant result…)
- Vocabulary building
- Reading for a general understanding of context
- Scanning (to get specific information)
- Understanding writing tasks and defining style
- Writing a text with supportive arguments
- Using linking and reference words to make writing cohesive and coherent
- Using functional language for specific purpose
- Writing concisely & clearly
- Fluency practice, using and understanding common phrases
- Pronunciation and intonation
- Interactive role-plays
Prior to the course, we would like to assess your current level. We start with an extensive intake interview with one of our trainers. If you don’t have an official document stating your current level of English, we will ask you to do some additional placement tests. The intake interview is free of charge. The additional placement tests cost 50 euros in total.